Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Prologue

Hey Everyone

Our family is adopting a little girl from China, and we'll be gone for about 16(ish) days. My mom is doing her own blog about the trip, but I figured some people would rather not read something made by a middle aged woman who doesn't even know how to use the copy/paste function on a computer. Thus, I am providing an alternative. I'll try to update this daily with whatever zany/awesome things happen over there. We don't know for sure yet if there will be WiFi in our various hotels, so if not then this whole blog will become instantaneously pointless. But we're guessing that there will be, so it should turn out okay. Also, there will be pictures.




Here's a quick background for those who don't know: I was an only child up until my Freshman year of High School. During that year, my family adopted my first sister from China. Her name is Eliana, and she's probably a whole lot cooler than any preschooler you've ever met. About 17 months ago, my parents started the process for our second adoption. And now, finally, the time has come for us to go over and pick her up.



Adoption is awesome. It's even cooler when I think of it as "an epic rescue mission that will end up saving an innocent child from a life of poverty and hopelessness". So, all of that being said, I hope you guys enjoy this. We have about three or four flights starting Thursday, ranging from a 2 hour flight to a 13 hour flight. So don't be surprised if I don't start updating until Saturday. Also, China is like 13 hours ahead of the good ol' United States, so my updates will probably occur while you are all fast asleep.

One last thing: post comments. I want to know who's actually reading this and what you think of it. I made it so anyone can post a comment. That's right, you don't have to sign up or sign in. You're welcome. But don't forget to leave your name. Kthx.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick,

Good luck to you and your family. Our DTC was August 25, 2008, so we have a long wait ahead of us. At least the paperchase is over, so that was one important milestone. Hope you have good weather and enjoy the experience.

One last thing. You might want to update the word Opportunity in the title.

Steve & Christy Rees

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicholas...I hope you don't mind this hopeless middle-aged woman checking in and following along in your journey to China. You have me laughin already! LOVE the blog! Enjoy your trip to bring your new baby sister home...I know it'll be amazing for you! Little Isabella is so lucky she'll have a "gege" like you. Take care and see you all when you return!

Becky B

Drew said...

This is sweet. I want zany china happenings! If you don't update every day I will...be sad. Or something. Stickers!

kirsten said...

hey nick! it is so amazing that your family is adopting another girl! i will most definitely be praying that your rescue mission goes smoothly! :)

~kirsten~

Anonymous said...

Sorry Nick but I did check out the blog of the middle-aged woman first. I know you will have our attention 100% with your crazy humor and amazing charm. I can't wait till you guys get home. Please take care of the family.

Dan

Brody said...

Hahahaha doesn't know how to use the copy/paste function..classic.

Whoo hoo. China part twooo.

Can you like legally drink over there or is that just in Germany XD

I may check up on this every few days or so, it all depends on what I've got goin on. BUT yea, its almost midnight and i have school unlike some people who travel to china whom I won't name

:P
Peace
~Brody

Anonymous said...

Nicholas,
Hi from another "middle aged woman!" I guess you're never going to live down making that comment! Hope you and your family had good flights yesterday. Actually, I saw you and your dad in the gate area. I decided to surprise you all at the airport, but I couldn't go through the gate since I didn't have a ticket. I was very disappointed, but we look forward to meeting you at the airport when you return. We enjoyed reading your blog, and are anxious to read more. Of course, we'll also look at the "middle aged woman" blog, too! Take care and God bless.

Love,
Aunt Marge (Uncle Garry and Ben, too)

Anonymous said...

Nick,

Great Blog!

It's fun to see your point of view on china and joy you express about your sisters.

I and my family attend Bethany Baptist in Peoria.

Gregg McClelland.