Monday, September 1, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

At 4 p.m. we got her. We just walked into the room and all the babies were there, it was much different than last time. She's beautiful and the orphanage director said she was "very healthy". She's been screaming ever since we got her. We're now back in the hotel for the night (yay), but there's some paperwork to do in twenty minutes. The only concern thus far is that she seemingly hasn't been able to sit up (which she should be able to do at 15 months) but it could just be because she's emotionally exhausted and crying. I'll update as soon as we know more. She's getting her first bottle as I type this.














Us leaving the hotel to get Isabella. We walked through a busy highway and almost died several times on our way. I'm actually not kidding.

Us inside the building, moments before we got her. Just to the left of us was the hall leading to the room with the babies. Our last picture as a family of four.


Ana and Isabella meeting for the first time.

Yo, weh mah ladiez @?

Isabella with 3/4 of her new family.


My dad likes to knock back a few (dozen) before life-changing events.


The first time I got to hold her

Aww

Alright! As I was posting these, my mom said she pulled herself up while she was sitting on her lap, so that's a good sign. My dad is now doing paperwork, and my two sisters (wow it feels weird saying that) and my mom are on a walk through our 5-Star incredible hotel. It's 4:15 a.m. where you guys are now, but over here we are enjoying our first evening as a whole family.

I was surprised at just how different she looks from our original referral pictures. She's absolutely beautiful. She's also the smallest baby of the ones adopted today (Ana was tiny too).

Ana is so amazing with her. She's so gentle and caring. She helped change her diaper, sang her a lullabye to try and calm her down, and she was the one that suggested that they go on a walk to try and make Isabella feel better. How sweet. Unfortunately Ana was crying too, feeling jealous and left out since Isabella was getting all of the attention. I think she's okay now though.

One last thing before I go for now: I found out both of my sisters Chinese nicknames. Ana's is Yiyi (pronounced yee yee), and Isabella's is Simbei (pronounced sim bay). Those names are totally rad, so I think I'll start calling them by that.

I'm so happy that we finally have her. I found out that we started this 19 months ago (I thought it was 17), and it's surreal that now everything has come full circle. Everything's going to be different now, but just like with Yiyi, I'm sure in a few days I won't even remember what it was like without Simbei.

I really love reading all the comments. It's great to have that connection from back home, and to know that families I've never even met before are reading this and praying for us as well. Thanks everyone! :) Hopefully I'll get in another update tonight.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

It is so fun to read about the joy and excitement you have for your sisters!!! What a blessing...
yes, Isabella is just beautiful! I love seeing the gotcha days, it brings back so many memories for us, AND, we are going to be in your exact spot (the Lord willing by the end of the year) getting our Nanchang baby. So, I am taking it all in right along with you, and yes praying for you all. Your blog is great and makes me laugh! Keep it up, love it.
In Him,
Dawn
AWAA (waiting for Leah)

The Walkers said...

Thanks Nick for your update!! I'm a fellow AWAA mom. You are so funny. Your 2 little sisters are very blessed to have such a loving big brother. Thank you for posting:)

Anonymous said...

wow, i started crying just seeing the pictures and all of you guys so excited to have isabela. i can't believe how much ana's grown, and now she gets to witness the adoption of her sister-- much the way she was adopted, though of course she doesn't remember it. wow. so amazing.

Unknown said...

Nicholas,
Congratulations big brother! I'm sure your parents are appreciating all of your and Ana's help! You and Ana are awesome siblings to Isabella! Thanks so much for your posts and photos - very informative and entertaining! We can't wait to see you all! Take care and God bless.
Love,
Aunt Marge, Uncle Garry and Ben

Kim, Rachel, and Emily said...

Hi Nickus !! Congrats on getting another sister ! It's so awesome that you have to beautiful little sisters. You are a great brother to Ana and will also be an awesome brother to Isabella. She is completely darling. I love reading your blog updates and can't wait to see you all when you get home. I love you all !!